Board of Appeals (BOA)
Appointed by the Board of County Commissioners, the Board of Appeals is a five-member board that reviews applications for variances, special exceptions, and expansion or replacement of non-conforming uses. It has the authority to:
Each case is presented before the Board of Appeals at a scheduled public hearing. The applicant(s) and/or their agent will need to be in attendance to present the criteria for their case.
Cases are heard by five Board members and are accompanied by their legal counsel.
Board of Appeals public hearings are held beginning at 9:00 a.m. on the first Thursday of each month with a tentative lunch break from 12:00-1:00 p.m. Additional meetings are scheduled as necessary.
Open Meeting Statement
The Calvert County Board of Appeals complies with the Open Meetings Act.
Board of Appeals hearings are currently being held at the Board of County Commissioners' Hearing Room,
175 Main St. 2nd Floor
Prince Frederick, MD 20678.
The public may attend in person, via ZOOM videoconference, or by dialing 888-475-4499 toll-free and entering meeting ID 880 2031 7032. If prompted for a participant ID or password, press #. To attend via Zoom, you must register in advance for this meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwtdemrrzwqGdZCdP29tKKzpmzbjMvSUaLY.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email about joining the meeting.
Agendas and Minutes
Submitting Comment on a Case
How can I submit comment on an active Board of Appeals case?
The public may submit comments on a case in two ways:
- Written: Parties affected by or interested in a specific Board of Appeals case may submit written comment to be placed in that case's official record. Submissions must be received ten (10) days prior to the scheduled hearing date so they can be property labeled and distributed. Comments may be emailed to the Board of Appeals Staff or mailed to: Board of Appeals, c/o BOA Clerk, 205 Main Street, Prince Frederick Maryland 20678. Note: Anonymous comments will not be accepted or entered into the record for a case.
- Verbal: (All testimony is sworn) Members of the public may ask questions and give verbal testimony related to a Board of Appeals case by attending the Public Hearing. Board of Appeals hearings are currently being held via Zoom videoconference. The public may attend virtually using an audio and video enabled computer or electronic device and by registering prior to the hearing day. To register for a specific hearing, email the Board of Appeals Staff. Individuals may also participate via phone using the toll-free number and Zoom Meeting I.D. provided on the Board of Appeals Agenda. Legal Notices are posted approximately 3 weeks prior to the advertised hearing date and the finalized Agenda updated the Friday prior to the hearing.
How will my comments be used?
Written comments will become part of the public record. The comments will be distributed to the Board for their consideration and to the applicant so they may have the opportunity to address your comments. Mention of your correspondence will be included in the exhibits listed at the hearing, and possibly read aloud. Comments will also be included in the final Order for the case.
Live testimony also becomes part of the public record. All persons wishing to testify must identify themselves and be sworn in.
|Hearing Date||Application Deadline|
|January 5, 2023||November 10, 2022|
|February 2, 2023||December 8, 2022|
|March 2, 2023||January 12, 2023|
|April 6, 2023||February 9, 2023|
|May 4, 2023||March 9, 2023|
|June 1, 2023||April 13, 2023|
|July 6, 2023||May 11, 2023|
|August 3, 2023||June 8, 2023|
|September 7, 2023||July 13, 2023|
|October 5, 2023||August 10, 2023|
|November 2, 2023||September 14, 2023|
|December 7, 2023||October 12, 2023|
1. Board of Appeals Applications are scheduled for hearings on a first-come, first-serve basis.
2. New fees were implemented July 1, 2023. Please review the revised Fee schedule.
3. Completed applications must be submitted with proper payment prior to the deadline in order to be eligible for, but is not a guarantee that it will be scheduled on, the desired months agenda.
|Susan D. Hance-Wells, Chair||2||04/30/2025|
|Daniel O. Baker, Jr., Vice Chair||2||09/30/2025|
|Christopher Moore, Member||2||11/30/2023|
|Robert Carpenter, Member||3||11/30/2023|
|Thomas H. Ireland, Member||2||10/31/2024|
|Marcia P. Claggett, Alternate Member||3||07/31/2022|
|VACANT, Alternate Member|
|Lisa Smith Sanders, Esq., Board Counsel|