Board of Appeals (BOA)
|Hearing Date||Application Deadline|
|July 7, 2022||May 12, 2022|
|August 4, 2022||June 9, 2022|
|September 1, 2022||July 14, 2022|
|October 6, 2022||August 11, 2022|
|November 3, 2022||September 8, 2022|
|December 1, 2022||October 13, 2022|
|January 5, 2023||November 10, 2022|
|February 2, 2023||December 8, 2022|
|March 2, 2023||January 12, 2023|
|April 6, 2023||February 9, 2023|
|May 4, 2023||March 9, 2023|
|June 1, 2023||April 13, 2023|
1. Board of Appeals Applications are scheduled for hearings on a first-come, first-serve basis.
2. New fees were implemented July 1, 2022. Please review the revised Fee schedule.
3. Completed applications must be submitted with proper payment prior to the deadline in order to be eligible for, but is not a guarantee that it will be scheduled on, the desired months agenda.
Each case is presented before the Board of Appeals at a scheduled public hearing. The applicant(s) and/or their agent will need to be in attendance to present the criteria for their case.
All Board of Appeals hearings will be held virtually via Zoom until further notice.
Cases are heard by five Board members and are accompanied by their legal counsel.
Additional meetings are scheduled as necessary.
Board of Appeals public hearings are held beginning at 9:00 a.m. on the first Thursday of each month with a tentative lunch break from 12:00-1:00 p.m.
Open Meeting Statement
The Calvert County Board of Appeals complies with the Open Meetings Act.
Board of Appeals hearings are currently being held virtually via Zoom for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic and until further notice.
Agendas and Minutes
Submitting Comment on a Case
How can I submit comment on an active Board of Appeals case?
The public may submit comments on a case in two ways:
- Written: Parties affected by or interested in a specific Board of Appeals case may submit written comment to be placed in that case's official record. Submissions must be received prior to the established exhibits deadline (2-weeks prior to the scheduled hearing date) so that they can be properly labeled and distributed. Comments may be emailed to the Board of Appeals Staff or mailed to: Board of Appeals, c/o BOA Clerk, 205 Main Street, Prince Frederick Maryland 20678. Note: Anonymous comments will not be accepted or entered into the record for a case.
- Verbal: (All testimony is sworn) Members of the public may ask questions and give verbal testimony related to a Board of Appeals case by attending the Public Hearing. Board of Appeals hearings are currently being held via Zoom videoconference. The public may attend virtually using an audio and video enabled computer or electronic device and by registering prior to the hearing day. To register for a specific hearing, email the Board of Appeals Staff. Individuals may also participate via phone using the toll-free number and Zoom Meeting I.D. provided on the Board of Appeals Agenda. Legal Notices are posted approximately 3 weeks prior to the advertised hearing date and the finalized Agenda updated the Friday prior to the hearing.
How will my comments be used?
Written comments will become part of the public record. The comments will be distributed to the Board for their consideration and to the applicant so they may have the opportunity to address your comments. Mention of your correspondence will be included in the exhibits listed at the hearing, and possibly read aloud. Comments will also be included in the final Order for the case.
Live testimony also becomes part of the public record. All persons wishing to testify must identify themselves and be sworn in.
|Susan D. Hance-Wells, Chair||2||04/30/2025|
|Daniel O. Baker, Jr., Vice Chair||2||09/30/2022|
|Christopher Moore, Member||2||11/30/2023|
|Robert Carpenter, Member||3||11/30/2023|
|Thomas H. Ireland, Member||2||10/31/2024|
|Marcia P. Claggett, Alternate Member||3||07/31/2022|
|VACANT, Alternate Member|
|Lisa Smith Sanders, Esq., Board Counsel|