Equal Opportunity Employer
The Calvert County Sheriff’s Office is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, creed, color, age, religion, national origin, or physical impairment.
Become a Deputy Sheriff
Thank you for your interest in the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office. As you consider a law enforcement career with our agency, you have the opportunity to become a member of one of the finest law enforcement agencies in the nation. Below are the requirements, application and selection processes for the position of deputy sheriff.
- Applicants must be 21 years of age upon graduation from the Southern Maryland Criminal Justice Academy.
- Applicants must be of good moral character and reputation.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license.
- Applicants must have U.S. citizenship.
- Applicants must possess a high school diploma or equivalent, accepted by the Maryland Department of Education.
The first step to becoming a deputy sheriff is completing an employment application. The application and selection process is conducted annually, and sometimes more often as needed. The selection process is conducted for the purpose of creating an eligibility list, regardless of any current openings.
To apply online, visit the Calvert County Government website to see if there are any deputy positions available, then follow the instructions there. To receive an application by mail or to pick one up in person, contact the Human Resources Department at the County Services Plaza, 150 Main Street, Suite 101, Prince Frederick, Maryland 20678, or call 410-535-1600 / 301-855-1243.
- Written Examination and Physical Ability Test (PDF) - This is the beginning of the process. Notification of the test date will be by email or mail service. Both tests will be administered on the same day.
- Oral Interview - Upon successful completion of the previous phase, a group of candidates will be chosen for an oral interview. The oral interview board will be comprised of members from various bureaus with the Sheriff’s Office.
- Polygraph Examination and Background Investigation - Following the interview, candidates may be scheduled for a polygraph examination and a background investigation. A thorough investigation will be conducted regarding any illegal drug history. The use and/or frequency of use of certain illegal drugs may disqualify a deputy sheriff candidate. For specific details, see the Maryland Police Training Commission Regulation 12.04.01.16.
- Medical Evaluation, Drug Screening, and Psychological Evaluation - Upon successful completion of the previous phases, a medical examination, drug screening, and a psychological examination is scheduled.
After all phases have been completed, an eligibility list will be created. When deputy sheriff positions become available, candidates are chosen from the eligibility list.
For civilian opportunities, please visit the Calvert County Government Employment page.
If you have questions regarding employment with the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office, please email Richard.Cox@Calvertcountymd.gov mailto:email@example.com or call at 410-535-1600 x 2458.